Hackensack Slip, Trip & Fall Accident Lawyers
Watch This Video To See How Our Top Rated New Jersey Premises Liability Lawyers Can Help
Proven Injury Lawyers Get Financial Results for Slip, Trip & Fall Accident Victims in Bergen County, NJ
Slip, trip and fall accident cases are a subset of premises liability law, requiring negligent property owners to pay financial compensation to people hurt because of dangerous conditions on their property. When you slip or trip because someone else neglected to maintain their property—or warn you about something dangerous—you have the right to financial compensation if you are hurt.
Involved In A Slip & Fall Accident And Have Questions? We Can Help, Tell Us What Happened.
At The Epstein Law Firm, P.A., our lawyers offer a free consultation for slip or trip and fall accident victims in Bergen County and elsewhere in New Jersey. We are here to listen to your story, explain your rights and help you understand what will happen if you take action to get fair compensation. With over 120 years’ experience and millions recovered for satisfied clients, our reputation for top-level legal guidance follows us into every courtroom and negotiating session we enter.
We know that negotiating with insurance companies and defense lawyers is the last thing you want to do if you are recovering from an injury. We take over the insurance claims process and negotiate on your behalf to pursue your right to maximum compensation for your injuries.
Steps to Take if You Were Hurt in a Slip or Trip & Fall Accident
Getting medical treatment is always the most important thing that you can do if you were hurt in a slip or trip and fall accident. While you are waiting for help or before leaving the scene, here are some additional steps you can take to protect your right to fair compensation at a later date:
- Tell someone about your slip or trip and fall accident, whether it is a store manager or the police
- Fill out an accident report if you are asked to do so and request a copy for your records
- Take photos of the accident scene, including what caused you to fall and the surrounding area if possible
- Take note of the location generally and look around to see if any surveillance cameras are visible
- Look around and see if anyone witnessed your fall, and ask for their contact information—slip and fall accidents happen quickly, and someone else’s perspective can be useful in establishing your claim
- When you get home, start a file to store all of the information related to your slip and fall, including a copy of the accident report, any documents your doctor gives you, witness contact information and personal notes about your injury and your recovery
- Stop posting on social media—social media posts can be discovered by anyone and can be used to dispute your right to compensation
Importantly, avoid talking to the insurance company before you have spoken with an experienced slip, trip and fall accident lawyer. At The Epstein Law Firm, P.A., our skilled injury lawyers provide a free case review. We can help you understand how certain types of statements could impact your financial award later.
Examples of Conditions Giving Rise to Slip & Fall or Trip & Fall Accident Claims
Realistically, property owners are the individuals who have control over how their property is maintained. When you visit a store or restaurant, for example, you have no control over the condition of the parking lot. That’s why a property owner can be held financially responsible if you slip, fall and are hurt because of a condition on the property.
Holding a property owner financially responsible when you slip and fall, or trip and fall, on their property requires proving that:
- A dangerous condition existed on the property
- The owner knew about it, or reasonably should have known about it
- The owner failed to provide adequate warning about the danger or fix the hazard in a reasonable amount of time, and
- You were hurt and suffered damages as a result
Common examples of slip and fall accidents include:
- Ice and slick surface accidents, including those caused by snow and ice that is not cleared in a reasonable amount of time
- Falls caused by general ground conditions, such as potholes in a parking lot, unmarked slippery floors, worn mats and carpeting, or even obstacles that make it difficult to safely navigate
- Accidents that are caused by poor lighting that makes it difficult to avoid obstacles and hazards
- Inadequately maintained stairways that may have broken railings or crumbling, uneven steps
Slip and fall accident cases that we handle include, but are not limited to:
- Ice and slick surface accidents
- Black ice accidents
- Supermarket and grocery store accidents
- Shopping center and mall accidents
- Sidewalk accidents
- Driveway accidents
- Public place accidents
- Park accidents
- Commercial property accidents
A Proven Track Record Of Outstanding Results For Slip & Fall Accident Cases
Establishing Liability After a Trip & Fall Accident
At The Epstein Law Firm, P.A., our experienced lawyers understand the legal process and legal standard that must be met for you to recover compensation after a slip, or trip, and fall accident. The property owner’s responsibility depends upon application of a “reasonableness” standard. Questions that must be asked in determining liability include:
- Was it reasonable that the property owner had not yet fixed the dangerous condition (based upon how long it had existed)?
- Would a reasonable person have placed warnings to prevent accidents?
- Should a reasonable person have known that the danger existed?
- Could a reasonable person have avoided injury by being more careful?
Our lawyers will look closely at what happened to cause your slip, or trip, and fall accident. We conduct our own investigation to identify any available evidence to support your claim, which might include video surveillance or even eyewitness testimony.
In most cases, determining whether you have a valid slip and fall accident claim requires the advice of an experienced lawyer. Talking to us about your case is free and we only charge attorneys’ fees if we win compensation for you.
Call Our Experienced Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers to Advocate for Your Rights
Often, talking with someone experienced in handling similar claims is the only real way to know whether you are getting fair compensation for your slip and fall accident injuries. At The Epstein Law Firm, P.A., our injury lawyers have helped hundreds of clients in situations similar to yours over the years. There is no risk in getting our advice, so call or contact our office to schedule a free case evaluation today.
Frequently Asked Questions About Trip & Fall Accident Cases
Comparative negligence is a system used when multiple people are to blame for an accident. A percentage of fault is assigned to each relative party. As a plaintiff, your compensation award is reduced by the amount of fault assigned to you. Defendants are responsible for a portion of the overall compensation award based on their percentage of fault.
Yes, if your friend knew (or reasonably should have known) about the danger and failed to warn you. Homeowners’ insurance policies cover the cost of compensating guests who are hurt by conditions on the property. Our trip and fall accident lawyers can help you with the claims process and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.