John E. Selser J.S.C.(Deceased)
Honorable John E. Selser, J.S. C. was appointed to the Bench in August of 2001. He was immediately assigned to the Family Division where he remained his entire career. Judge Selser primarily handled divorce trials, but also has had extensive experience in domestic violence, children in court and non-dissolution cases.
Prior to being appointed to the bench, Judge Selser was in the private practice of law for 28 years in Hackensack, New Jersey. During his career Judge Selser was President of the Bergen County Bar Association in 1997 and a Trustee of the New Jersey State Bar Association for six years . He was a member of and Chairman of the Supreme Court Ethics Committee in Bergen County. Judge Selser was a member of and Chairman of the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness to Practice Law for 11 years. Judge Selser previously taught Professionalism in the Skills and Methods programs for ICLE and has lectured extensively on Family Law matters.
Judge Selser lives in Wayne, New Jersey with his wife, Joann, and their two sons. He also has two children from a prior marriage.
Areas of Practice
- Mediation and Arbitration of all Family Court Matters
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bergen County Bar Association, President
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Trustee
- Supreme Court Ethics Committee, Member and Chairman
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee, Chairman
- Master, Barry Croland Family Law Inn of Court
- Supreme Court Character and Fitness Committee