Imagine driving on the New Jersey Turnpike when a car suddenly appears in your lane, coming straight for you. This is exactly what happened to drivers on March 19. At approximately 9:30 p.m., officers made their way to the northbound lanes of the turnpike near Elizabeth to locate a driver that was driving in the wrong direction. Once the police arrived on the scene, they found an accident had occurred. At least two people had to go to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The state police later charged the wrong-way driver with drunken driving. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to the negligent acts of a wrong-way driver, you may be entitled to file a suit. After becoming the victim of a drunk driver, you should receive compensation for your injuries and for any damages done to your vehicle. A personal injury attorney in the Bergen County area can help you take the necessary steps to get the justice you deserve. Filing a claim In New Jersey, you have up to two years to file a lawsuit against the driver that caused your injuries and six years to file for the damage to your car. If you do not file within the two-year statute of limitations, the court is likely to completely deny your claim. When you submit your lawsuit, you will have to provide a written statement that details the accident and what type of relief you are requesting. An experienced attorney can help you put together a complaint brief and navigate all other court procedures. Settlement process Usually, most cases are settled early instead of going to trial. This will save you the stress of appearing in a courtroom setting. During the settlement process, you and your attorney will be able to negotiate with the other driver's representative in an attempt to come to suitable terms. The settlement will be in writing so that each party is clear on what is and is not included. Your attorney will guide you through the process and discuss various settlement options. If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident with a drunk driver, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries. Advice from an experienced car accident attorney in New Jersey can ensure that you meet filing deadlines and the lawyer will walk you through the settlement process.