Where are wet floors most common?
July 16, 2015
Slip and fall accidents are a big deal in New Jersey. Nationwide, they cause 540,000 people to be sent to the hospital every year, and that doesn’t even count all of the accidents that don’t result in hospital stays. One of the biggest reasons for a slip and fall accident is a wet floor. Where are these found most often?
1. In restrooms. Even if there is nothing major like an overflowing sink, the constant traffic of people washing their hands and the sweating metal pipes can cause the tile floors to be slick.
2. In kitchens and areas where food is prepared. If dishes are washed in these same areas, the odds of a slick floor go up dramatically.
3. Near exits and entryways. This is a big problem in the winter, when snow that is caked on people’s boots is tracked inside, where it can melt. However, it can also be an issue any time that it rains, so it’s something to watch out for almost all year around.
4. In medical centers and areas where surfaces are kept sterile. While having clean surfaces is a must, the constant washing can be a hazard if any cleaning materials are spilled.
5. In a janitorial closet. Wet mops that are hung up to dry can drip on the floor, cleaners can spill and many other things can cause the floor of the dark, cramped closet to be a real hazard.
6. In locker rooms. It could be argued that locker room floors are almost always wet, as people walk in and out, taking showers and getting dressed as they leave or arrive at the gym.
If you’re injured in a fall in any of these areas, you may be able to get compensation.
Source: The Green in Hygiene, “Slippery When Wet: The Hazards of Wet Floors,” accessed July 16, 2015
“Smart, creative and
aggressive lawyers who put
their client’s interests first" —
"The Epstein Law Firm recently obtained a multi-million dollar settlement in an extremely complex and difficult financial services case. He and his team not only mastered the complex issues in the case, but also expertly handled all aspects of the negotiations. I cannot thank Michael enough for his dedication and hard work, and I highly recommend him and The Epstein Law Firm for those who need smart, creative, and aggressive lawyers who put their clients’ interests first.”